aubergine, washed and diced
white onions, peeled and thinly sliced
ripe tomatoes, seeded and sliced into strips
celery stalks, washed and chopped
This simple but delicious stew is packed with tasty vegetables, helping to keep it low-calorie yet hearty. You can make this recipe with any vegetables you’ve got left over in the drawer of your fridge, but bear in mind that adjusting recipes can alter the total calorie count.
- • Wash and slice the aubergines, and place in a large strainer. Sprinkle with salt and leave to one side to drain for at least an hour.
- • Meanwhile, plan a wide, shallow pan on a medium-high heat. Drizzle in half of the olive oil and fry the onions until golden.
- • Add the tomatoes, celery, olives and capers. Cook for 15 minutes, stirring throughout. Remove from the heat.
- • Rinse the aubergine and dry using paper towels.
- • Heat the remaining oil in a saucepan over a high heat. When the oil is hot, add the aubergine pieces and fry until well-browned.
- • Drain the aubergine and stir it into the tomato mixture. Drizzle over the vinegar and sweetener, and return the pan to a low heat.
- • Cook until the vinegar has completely evaporated.
- • Remove from the heat and serve either hot or cold.